Bailey, Banks & Biddle
Founded in 1832 as “Bailey & Kitchen” in Philadelphia by Joseph Trowbridge Bailey and Andrew Kitchen, this company is one of the United States oldest manufacturers of insignia. The name changed to Bailey & Co. by 1862 and they were located at 819 Chestnut Street. The name officially changed again in 1878 to Bailey Banks & Biddle. Throughout the 1900s, this company was responsible for the production of the Congressional Medal of Honor, the first 40,000 Purple Hearts, the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, and the first Pilot Wings. As the official designers of the U.S Government, Military and Naval Academy, they struck thousands of medals. They are also known for making the insignia for the “order” of the Cincinnati Society for over seventy-five years.