Order of St. Anna, Chapter of Munich
SKU: 01.BAV.0113.101.01
Estimated market value:
Estimated market value:
Attributes
Physical Description
A gold Maria Theresa cross with white enameled arms with a dark blue border. There are enamelled discs in the quadrants between the arms. The obverse bears a central white enameled medallion bearing a gold figure of the Immaculata. The arms of the cross are inscribed “SUB TUUM PRAESIDIUM” (Under the Protection). The reverse bears a white enameled medallion bearing a gold figure of the Bishop St. Benno. The reverse arms of the cross are inscribed with “PATRONUS NOSTER” (Our Holy Protector, Maria Anna). The cross is on a double loop for suspension on a light blue and yellow striped ribbon.
History
The Order of St. Anna was established on September 19, 1783 by Maria Anna of Bavaria, widow of Elector Maximilian III. The order was conferred upon the daughters of Bavarian Catholic nobility. In 1785, a women’s monastery was established in the name of St. Anna in Munich.
To receive the order and enter the covenant of St. Anna, the individual had to be unmarried, over the age of eighteen, and prove sixteen noble ancestors. In 1792, the number of noble ancestors was decreased to eight. It was required for ladies of the Order of St. Anna to attend three masses a day, as well as maintain various lifestyle and clothing regulations.
In 1803, the principality of Würzburg fell to Bavaria, and the Würzburg monastery was abolished and then integrated into the Munich monastery. In 1807, Würzburg regained independence, but in 1814 it was again reunited with Bavaria.
Beginning in 1808, Protestant women were accepted, and in 1841, foreigners were also accepted into the order. The admission fee in 1875 was 200 marks for Bavarians and 1,600 marks for foreigners.
Versions
$1,700 USD
Gold
Obv: SUB TUUM PRAESIDIUM Rev: PATRONUS NOSTER
28x33mm
Comments
Sign in to comment and reply.
Scroll Top